Hello, Failure

Of all the enemies of literature, success is the most insidious

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Failure of the Day: My Taste, Unchecked

I think this is where the truth, ugly or fine, will finally become clear. Greenhaven (AKA my room) is done. I got what I needed from Ikea and now Greenhaven is really, really green. And I mean very green, everywhere you look. From the living room, you can see a green glow slipping out from under my door. Plus, now you don’t have to sit on the floor.

I love it. It is cozy and delightful and weird and comfortable. But it brings back a train of thought I usually only have under nitrous oxide…is there such a thing as “good” taste and “bad” taste? I mean, objectively? What confuses me is that I don’t believe in objectivity, like, at all, but at the same time, it does seems like some things just really are in poor taste.

Now, I’m no arbiter of these things (except, you know, to the extent that I am) so (and because my brain is a world class pain in the ass) now that I’ve finally realized my dream of a 100% lime green room, it’s occurred to me to worry that when left to my own devices, I might not have very good taste. What if not being able to afford the stuff I really want was the only thing that was keeping me from making my entire living space hideous to the consensus reality? What if a 100% lime green room is a bad idea?

Oh, but just look at it! I’m being ridiculous…it’s gorgeous. And so…what’s the word? Oh, yes: green.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home