Hello, Failure

Of all the enemies of literature, success is the most insidious

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Failure of the Day: Misc.


Jig = Up
Of course, the shows were sold out long before the fuckwads at the Guardian put her on the cover last week. Now my chances of scoring day-of-show tickets have shrunk to something like 1 in 500. I guess I was kidding myself that Joanna Newsom was kind of a private hobby anyway. QED: She’s on Jimmy Kimmel Thursday night. I’m the last person to begrudge her any success; she deserves it all. I just wanted the damn tickets.


End of the World
Hey, so how about that avian flu? (Is it more like The Birds or more like The Stand? Discuss.) And how long do you suppose before PETA comes out in favor of it? Think I’m kidding? Read Bill Maher’s comments about mad cow disease sometime.


Stages of Grieving (Hipster Edition)
1 Alcohol
2 Whoring
3 Paranoia
4 “Semi”-autobiographical fiction
5 Acceptance


Better Late than Never
Last on the bandwagon but a quick learner, Chris has a blog. He mastered the photo uploading software faster than I figured out the clearly labeled text formatting buttons. Don’t miss the link to J. Lo’s cooter or the short story snippet in the first entry.

2 Comments:

  • At February 23, 2005 7:15 PM, Blogger Jeff Lester said…

    Goddamn, I was equally depressed about Newsom making the cover for exactly that reason. Thanks for the head's up about Jimmy Kimmel--no way in hell I can watch it, but maybe stereogum will have it mpg'd or something.

    by the way, have you seen The Singing Detective? Edi and I are working our way through it on video, bit by bit, and it's as fantastic as we remember. But there's an assload of it that makes me think you and yr. medical narrative fixation would downright Love it.

     
  • At February 23, 2005 7:40 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    Oh hell, I don't even know when the Kimmel show is on...but since the invention of our handy dandy DVR, it turns out it doesn't matter. Maybe I'll hold the recording of it hostage and use it to extort a visit from you.

    What the hell is The Singing Detective?

    PS. You'll LOVE the new Murakami. I'm frankly too stunned by it to so much as talk about it yet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home