Hello, Failure

Of all the enemies of literature, success is the most insidious

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Failure of the Day: Boom!

Chris and I were both relieved to see the shuttle take off without incident. Or much of an incident, at least. There’s a bit of precedent you see…

In January of 1986, I moved to Georgia for reasons that are best left unmentioned. When I arrived, I unloaded all my crap into my hotel room and decided to go to sleep. When I woke up on that first morning, I turned on the TV and saw the Challenger had exploded.

In February of 2003, we moved from Seattle to SF. After unloading all our crap into our new place, we decided to go to sleep. When I woke up on that first morning, I turned on the TV and saw that the Columbia had exploded.

This latest shuttle mission is the first since the Columbia, and it is occurring during a week when I am moving to another city. Crap.

I don’t actually give a shit about NASA…I think space travel as a priority should come only after all the Earth priorities have been taken care of, and I definitely think all that money could be better spent, but no one likes to see people get blown to smithereens. I am proudly and unapologetically anti-smithereens. (Including the band. God, they’re boring.)

This will be my last post until after we move. There are still people high above us pooping in baggies and losing muscle mass (which I think they could do just as well down here, but I suppose I’m overlooking the grandeur and scope of the adventure and whatnot), and they are supposed to come down well after we should be all settled into the new digs. So it’s full on not our fault if anything happens. For the record.

4 Comments:

  • At July 27, 2005 11:38 AM, Blogger Chris said…

    No! Remember? We HEART the Smithereens! "Blood & Roses!" "Beyond the Wall of Sleep!" "A Girl Like You!" Heart them!

     
  • At July 27, 2005 12:07 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    Yaaaaaaaaaaaawn…huh? What? Sorry…I must have dozed off…I was feeling all perky and then someone said something about the Smithereens and I started thinking about their music and then I got soooo sleeeeeeeeee…Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

     
  • At July 29, 2005 8:08 AM, Blogger Squish the Klown said…

    Fine. But don't ever, ever, ever attack him on the Hoodoo Gurus.

    Peace, love and a happy move to you both.

     
  • At August 09, 2005 9:07 AM, Blogger Chris said…

    The shuttle has landed! Can I get a "PHEW?"

    PHEW!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home