Hello, Failure

Of all the enemies of literature, success is the most insidious

Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Failure of the Day: Tis Of Thee

Ah, homeland. As a Jew, I think I'm supposed to long for one although I've never really understood the concept, especially since Israel seems like the most un-Nancy place to live imaginable. For one thing, it's HOT. But for another thing, as Bucky used to say: It's not so much the heat as the rain of high-velocity bullets.

Plus, I've never really been able to metabolize the idea that that home was a dangerously specific patch of dirt. These days, I recognize "home" as the place where Chris is, but before that, the word just meant "the 81 square feet where I keep my books and bed, as demarcated by my door, which is closed, thank you very much." I never thought that there might be a country of People Like Me because in my experience, there aren't very many, certainly not enough to populate a whole country let alone want one because by definition People Like Me would have much of a shit to give about such things. People Like Me, it turns out, are not so land-grabby.

That's all about to change though, thanks to a Web site created to promote a book that I have no intention of reading. I do now have my own country thanks to this inventive little site, and I invite you to visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home