Hello, Failure

Of all the enemies of literature, success is the most insidious

Monday, December 08, 2003

Failure of the Day: Only one more day until I can stop my local political rants and start my national political rants

I had a brief by powerful surge of patriotism when I read about the successful campaign to make a bio/photo of GWBush the first site to come up when you enter “miserable failure” into Google.

It was quickly countered when I remembered that tomorrow I have to vote for fucking Matt Gonzalez, who can’t seem to understand that Ralph Nader serves the same purpose as Pat Buchanan—to steal 3% of the votes from fringes and let the zealots feel that they really showed somebody something with their vote.

I have to vote for Matt Gonzalez tomorrow, though, because I’m pretty consistent in my logic, I think, and in this scenario, for me, voting for Gonzalez is analogous to voting for Gore.

Tomorrow, I can cast either:
A) A vote that helps ensure that at least some of what I believe to be desperately important is represented in the office for which I am casting my vote.
B) A vote that helps ensure that none of what I believe to be desperately important is represented in the office for which I am casting my vote.

Sure, I loathe the Greens for a variety of reasons, but I am positively tickled to say that my loathing is not irrational enough to make me choose option B over option A. Sure, I could cast a protest vote against the Greens for their attempts to dismantle the entire democratic power base (not to mention Gonzalez’s complete disregard of my neighborhood) but when push comes to shove, I don’t have it in me to screw that many people over so I can throw a political tantrum. So I’m going to do something people don’t much like to do but that is fairly important when you are living in a society with other humans. Greens, practice saying it with me : Com-pro-mise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home