Hello, Failure

Of all the enemies of literature, success is the most insidious

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Failure of the Day: The Momentous Shopping

2006 is the year. February is the month. I am many, many years late and significantly behind the curve. I genuinely expected to reach 40 without ever having done this. I genuinely expected that I would never do this. (Oh for chrissake, not that.)

I’m buying a car. A new car, and my first ever. And I'm not even 39 and a half yet.

Chris’s beloved 11-year-old Jetta is just about ready to go to the farm and frolic with the other Jettas that can’t live with their families anymore. It served us well over the years; it never even held a grudge against him for making it wear that horrible Grateful Dead sticker on its back window, although it would have been well within its rights.

Having determined it was time for new car, I began the shopping. I’m good at shopping; it’s one of those suburban Jewish girl things that no amount of subcultural lifestyle ever really rids one of. Chris loathes the car shopping and buying process, experienced as he is in the terribleness of the salesmen and The Little Room. But he hates talking to strangers under the best of circumstances, let alone when it’s someone whom you are fairly certain is picking your pocket every time you turn your head.

I am convinced it can’t be That Bad. What I’ve seen of it so far, which is mostly playing with “add options and price your vehicle” functions on the various manufacturers’ web sites, has been pretty cool. I am disappointed, though, that one cannot shop for cars by color, because that really would save me a lot of time. I have learned that not very many cars come in green, and of the ones that do, none are emphatically green. I can’t imagine why that is.

I'm petrified to drive of course. We're getting an automatic transmission so I can drive it if need be—the manual transmission in the Jetta requires WAY more coordination than I can muster. But that’s the thing: it dawned on me this month that one of the reasons I’ve driven a car 3 times in the last 15 years (and 2 of those times were in an empty parking lot with Chris screaming CLUTCH! CLUTCH!) is that driving is something that one does with one’s arm and legs, and I don’t trust my arms and legs for shit.

When we finally pick the one we want, and go get it and take it home, I will almost certainly be beside myself with excitement and joy, as I am in general about the gobsmackingly surprising turn my life has taken over these last few months and years. But for everyone's sake, be very glad that I'm only in charge of the shopping and Chris does the driving.

8 Comments:

  • At January 14, 2006 12:31 PM, Blogger Jeff Lester said…

    Wow. Considering I tend to follow you in most matters, I expect I'll end up buying my first new car in about a year to two years, then.

    Which is when I've been contemplating it--I refuse to put any more money into my Neon which ate up thousands of dollars just a few years back and now needs work on the electrical (no radio and, sometimes, no speedometer!), paint (it flakes) and bodywork (it leaks. During the rainy seasons, my steering wheel is damp and the windshield is covered with raindrops on the inside of the windshield). I can't begin to tell you how I've longed for a new car that would be trouble free for at least a few years.

     
  • At January 14, 2006 10:36 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    It sounds like you’re primed to narrow that two-year gap—no speedometer would scare the bejesus out of me, and those leaks can really be a drag. The Jetta sprouted an adamant coolant leak that we’ve fixed twice now, and it just sort of became clear that we were putting more money into it than we were going to get as back as its trade-in value. (FYI The fact that I can even put that sentence together, let alone know what it means impresses the crap out of me.)

    We’re planning on buying whatever we decide to buy the first weekend in Feb—I wish it were going to be a hybrid, but you wouldn’t believe how hard they make it to buy one of those. It’s seriously a conspiracy. But anyway, after that we’ll be able to get up to city much more easily…maybe we’ll look for a good night to do dinner?

     
  • At January 19, 2006 7:41 PM, Blogger Jeff Lester said…

    That would be great (I can't believe how long it's been since I checked to see if you responded to my comment--and apparently you did it the same day. Arghhh!)

    As for dinner, that would be fantastic. We leave for Argentina on Feb. 15th, so either before then, or after we get back on the 24th...

     
  • At January 21, 2006 8:56 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    Oohh, Argentina! My brain just goes "Dirty war, big bugs!" but I suppose that's why I'm not much of a traveler....

    Is the 11th for dinner cutting it too close for you? Chris just remembered that's WonderCon weekend so we’ll be up there anyway....

     
  • At January 23, 2006 5:55 PM, Blogger Jeff Lester said…

    Oh, the 11th sounds excellent! I'll run it by Edi and let you know...

    Are you guys going to be up for Wondercon on all 3 days? Just the 11th?

     
  • At January 23, 2006 7:34 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    Just the 11th...unless there's some sort of "Brandon Routh in full suit on 12th"-type announcement...

     
  • At January 26, 2006 8:45 AM, Blogger Jeff Lester said…

    Hah! I doubt it, although Wondercon is really pulling out the big guns this year...

    Anyone, let's count on the 11th for dinner then. I'll email you my cell number and stuff (although, maybe you have it?) so we can call each other on that day. I was going to just work on the 11th, but now I'm thinking I may hit the con after all...

     
  • At January 26, 2006 2:49 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    Well, you know what William Shatner said:
    Come to the Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

    (weee! fun with homophones!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home