Hello, Failure

Of all the enemies of literature, success is the most insidious

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Failure of the Day: Earnestness

After four days of boycotting all forms of news media, I am still too sensitive to so much as stream Air America radio at work today. I think I've developed some sort of irony deficiency. I’ve got no emotional distance from anything and I’m doing a very poor job of feigning indifference.

I am still just beside myself with gloom about the election. I get all these emails every day from Mary Beth Cahill, the Kerry campaign manager, hitting me up for more money or another signature on the latest impotent Internet petition, and even though the reply-to address surely goes directly to a black hole of nothingness, it’s all I can do to not write back and spew my tirade about what a horrible job she is doing and how I almost hope that she is really just a undercover NeoCon operative because at least then it would all make sense.

I even got absurdly bummed out when my fantasy football team, the SFSnatch, lost on Sunday (and by a measly 2 points! Damn you TJ Duckett! Damn you straight to helllllllllllllllllll!).

Tonight, we have a rare weeknight social outing (happy birthday David!) and then I’ll turn my newly earnest attention to the thing that I suspect is the root cause of my even-more-catastrophic-than-usual sense of the world—our 20th high school reunion on Saturday. Featuring conversations like “John, so nice to see you! Say, I’ve always wondered, did you blow my junior prom date at the actual prom, or just during the months before and after? And oh by the way...still a mormon?”

Yeah...irony…who needs it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home