Hello, Failure

Of all the enemies of literature, success is the most insidious

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Failure of the Day: 13 x 3

It’s my birthday on Tuesday. The Discovery Health Network celebrated this weekend by debuting the excellent documentary “Born with Two Heads.” They sure know the way to my heart...and they show it through the laparoscope! Thank you! I’ll be here all week!

I’m anticipating a low-key birthday; 39 seems like little more than the year before 40 and not much to get excited about. Next year is the to-do; this year I’m content just to go out for a nice dinner. Which is not to say there is no celebrating—we went to a pirate-themed party this weekend for someone else’s birthday. (I am not much of a costume person so I just wore all green and told everyone I was a parrot. “Dude, it’s the funniest thing but I really really want a cracker…”)

Also this weekend, Chris’s and my fantasy football teams battled each other to the sorry end. My team (the San Jose Synecdoche; I had to retire the San Francisco Snatch) has been doing very well so far this year knock wood. I’m either in first or second place overall in the league, depending on how you read the stats. As of right now, in our match-up Chris leads 91/77, but 91 is his final score and I've still got a player left in Monday night's game. Try to imagine the position that puts him in on the night before my birthday. Hello Rock? Meet the Hard Place...

All in all though, I expect that being 39 will consist largely of sleepiness interrupted by brief periods of crabbiness and cravings for the gourmet marshmallows I've recently discovered. Which will make it largely indistinguishable from being 38. And happy 2 year non-smoking anniversary to one and all.

5 Comments:

  • At October 10, 2005 5:53 PM, Blogger Jeff Lester said…

    Dude:

    You going without smoking is nothing to be blase about, I think. I would've sooner predicted the Rapture, to be honest. Congratu-fuggin-lations!

    Also, we should try to figure out a tea leaf joint bday schedule, yes?

    Many kisses!

    -jeff

     
  • At October 11, 2005 5:28 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    I suppose… it’s that strange sense of resignation or inevitability or something that one gets about a thing that’s already happened. Eh…smoking. So long and thanks for all the phlegm.

    The 21st would have been ideal for a joint birthday dinner adventure…Do you know that Chris Ware is doing a reading/signing that night? We would have loved to go up to the city for it but we have to go to this crazy SJSU homecoming banquet that night. (Turns out even I have school spirit when the school offers me a night of free booze, filet mignon, and a headlining corporate comedy whore or two.) Would the following Saturday (29th) be too crazy with Halloween and all?

     
  • At October 11, 2005 5:48 PM, Blogger Jeff Lester said…

    I think Edi has her heart set on going to this party on the 29th, otherwise I'd say yes....

    The 21st is down; the 29th's not good; hmmm. I imagine Saturdays are the only good days for you guys because of the drive and all. Maybe a November afterparty?

     
  • At October 11, 2005 7:26 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    Yeah...I figured the 29th was a longshot...The 5th might be our last best bet because the 12th is our anniversary weekend and after that it's the damn holidays already. So...how's the 5th?

     
  • At October 13, 2005 4:35 PM, Blogger Jeff Lester said…

    I dropped you an email about all this wacky scheduling stuff...lemme know if you didn't get it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home