Hello, Failure

Of all the enemies of literature, success is the most insidious

Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Failure of the Day: They Might Be Giants

Who I'm obsessed with lately, and who are playing in town tonight, and who I am not going to go see, even though I can afford it and don't really have anything else to do.

I just ran down to Goodwill to get some of those $3 t-shirts I love so much, and I stopped into Green Apple to see if they had the CD "Lincoln" because it's one that I don't have of theirs, and I dreamt about the song "Kiss Me, Son of God" night before last, and they had it so I'm listening to it right now, and it's great of course. And I love "Ana Ng" even more than "Kiss Me, Son of God," and don't even get me started on "A Self Called Nowhere" and "Meet James Ensor" and about a million other of their songs that are just 17 different levels of wonderful.

And I'm still not going and I've never even seen them live before, and really the only reason why is that I am a sloth.

(I read a thing about sloths recently, now that I think of it; I forget where. But they apparently literally sleep like 23 hours a day and during that one hour they are really, like, groggy or something, and can barely be bothered to notice even if you poke them with a stick. And you have to ask yourself what purpose these creatures serve on the Earth and then you realize: metaphor. And that's incredibly brilliant because it's still creatures other than the sloths doing the work.)

But so the general jist is that TMBG make me happy all the time and I'm a moron for not dragging myself to Slims or wherever the hell they are playing tonight. Maybe I'll get really lucky and "Gigantic," (the TMBG documentary) will be playing in town soon and I'll get all motivated to see them next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home