Hello, Failure

Of all the enemies of literature, success is the most insidious

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Failure of the Day: Blog Will Eat Itself

So, of course I read Jeff's blog everyday as well, and when I read that he found a guy who posts his weight every day on his blog, I was frankly appalled. Appalled! Me, who has written and had published poems about virtually every person I've ever slept with, and who has made a virtual career out of publicizing the details of my medical history, and I sat in my chair after reading that and thought "Jesus! Isn't anything private anymore?"

Of course I wouldn't be me if I didn't spend the next ten minutes searching my psyche to see if I wasn't just jealous that I'd been out-confessed. You'll be happy to know that I don't think that's it. Men surely have weight issues but I guarandamntee you that they are tiny little dust mites in one corner of one room in one house in the giant metropolis of women's weight issues. Zpp…zpp…zpp. No arguments.

And what's worse is the horrible cliché of women's weight issues, and I think that's what pisses me off the most. I could post my weight, or how much I've lost this month or whatever but…Ew. I may be one of those women with issues about the size of my ass, but I don't need to seem like one. (In public, at least; Chris knows better.)

And nevermind that the "I'm too a) cool, b)feminist, c)smart, d)aware of the way media warps our beliefs of what's attainable, to have ass-size issues" attitude is its own cliché, not to mention always a total lie.

I seem to have drifted a bit off my original topic, which was…wait, I know this one…well, whatever it was, I am probably too aware of the way media warps our beliefs of what's attainable to care very much about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home