Hello, Failure

Of all the enemies of literature, success is the most insidious

Thursday, April 15, 2004

Failure of the Day: Big Ass Check

I wrote and mailed a check today for over five thousand dollars. That’s a record for me—and don’t we all keep track of the largest check we’ve ever written, like it’s some mark of adulthood? Do 60 year-olds still get impressed with themselves for re-setting that record?

Even as I type that I expect the answer is No; at some point the idea of paying a lot of money for something must become more of an annoyance…oh, but, wow…even as I typed that I thought better of it. Wouldn’t it be cool to pay a lot of money for a thing that you really wanted and could actually afford to purchase? And the answer to that is Yes.

But here’s the reason for my flip-flop: the check I wrote today was one of four that went to the IRS. So on the one hand, I kind of was impressed with myself for having figured out this whole "independent contractor" business and having done a very reasonabe job of managing my income to such a degree that when my expected tax bill came due, I could simply pay it. On the other hand, I could have purchased a shitload of John Fluevog shoes with that money.

And that would have been more fun, but more impressive? I don’t know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home